We are the primary data controller for the purposes of this website and our registered office is 95 Glenayr Avenue Bondi Beach NSW Australia 2026.
Any changes we make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page and, if appropriate, notified to you by email so please check this page regularly.
Last updated 23/01/2019.
PURPOSES FOR HANDLING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is information about you, such as your name, contact details and records of your dealings with us. We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information:
- To process transactions and deliver products to you
- To communicate with you
- To assess applications for employment
- To maintain our business records and to otherwise run our business
- For purposes disclosed to you and to which you have consented
- Or purposes that you would otherwise reasonably expect, and
- For any other purposes required or permitted by law
COLLECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information such as email address, mobile phone numbers, home address, shipping and payment card billing address, payment card details, IP address, search criteria and shopping history from our customers, business contacts, prospective employees and other individuals with whom we deal. We only collect personal information by lawful and fair means.
We collect information in several ways which are listed below:
- Online on Overstock.au (the "Website")
- When you use or enter your personal information into overstock.net.au
- When you are registered as a Overstock.au customer
- When you sign up to our marketing campaigns (our Newsletter)
- When you contact Overstock.au by telephone, email, or chat
- When you enter any event, prize draws or competitions run by Overstock.au
- When completing any forms for transactional, employment or other purposes
- When you buy products or gift certificates (the details of transactions you make from Oversotck.au via the website
- When you click through from marketing emails to our website
COLLECTION OF WEBSITE USAGE INFORMATION
Our website utilises "cookies". A cookie is a small text file that a website saves on your computer or mobile device when you visit the site. It enables the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login) over a period of time, so you don’t have to keep re-entering them whenever you come back to the site
Use of a cookie does not provide us with information about you that can be used to identify you. Rather, they anonymously track usage of our website, so that we can enhance users' experience of our website. You may elect to reject cookies in your browser and still use our website, however in doing so, you may not be able to access all features of the website.
Cookies used on the website include:
This cookie is used to speed up page load times. It is used to override any security restrictions based on the IP address the visitor is coming from. It does not contain any user identification information. The main purpose of this cookie is: Strictly necessary
This cookie is used to distinguish unique users by assigning a randomly generated number as a client identifier. It is included in each page request in a site and used to calculate visitor, session and campaign data for the sites analytics reports. The main purpose of this cookie is: Performance
This is a pattern type cookie set by Google Analytics, where the pattern element on the name contains the unique identity number of the account or website it relates to. It is a variation of the _gat cookie which is used to limit the amount of data recorded by Google on high traffic volume websites. The main purpose of this cookie is: Performance
This cookie stores your preferred currency to make it easier for you to shop when you next visit the site. The main purpose of this cookie is: Performance
This cookie creates a unique identification to store your session id on our server, enabling the website to provide faster login, and to remember the items in your cart. The main purpose of this cookie is: Performance
This cookie informs us which country you are accessing the site from. The main purpose of this cookie is: Performance
This cookie helps us facilitate the live chat service on our website. The main purpose of this cookie is: Performance
IP addresses are used to analyse trends, administer our website, track user movements on our website, and gather broad demographic data for aggregate use, which we may share with our operational partners. We do not link IP addresses to any information that could personally identify you.
Pixels and tags are also used to understand trends so we can provide an optimal browsing and shopping experience for customers. Pixels and tags are not linked to any information that can personally identify you.
How to control cookies:
You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish – for details, see aboutcookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed.
PROCESSING AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to third parties including:
- Our service providers (including IT services, email marketing platforms, financial institutions, and distribution and delivery services)
- Our related companies and other business partners
- Our professional advisers (including lawyers, accountants and auditors)
- Other parties as required or authorized by law
- In so doing, we may disclose your personal information outside of the US to related parties
At times we use third party platforms to manage and deliver marketing campaigns, deliver products, payments, refunds, IT services; to name a few. In providing these services, your personal information will, where applicable, be used by the service provider on our behalf. For example, a delivery company using your name and address to deliver your order.
We will check any third party that we use to ensure that they can provide sufficient guarantees regarding the confidentiality and security of your personal information. We will have written contracts with them which provide assurances regarding the protections that they will give to your personal information and their compliance with our data security standards and international transfer restrictions. Your Personal Data may be transferred and stored outside the European Economic Area and be processed by staff who work for us or for one of our suppliers outside the European Economic Area. By submitting your Personal Data, you are agreeing to this transfer, storing or processing.
How we use your information:
We only collect the information that’s necessary to carry out our business, provide the particular service you’ve requested and to keep you up to date about all the latest exciting Overstock.au news.
For our use of your personal information to comply with applicable data protection and GDPR law, that use by us needs to fall under at least one of the specific lawful reasons that are set out in applicable data protection law. Lawful reasons for using your personal data include:
- Fulfilment of our contract with you – the purchase of goods via our website is a contract
- Compliance with our legal obligations
- Your direct consent for information
Further details are listed below:
Name, contact details, delivery details
- Take your orders, process your payments and deliver the items you have purchased
- Send you delivery update messages by SMS or email
- Send you additional services you have requested, such as our marketing communications by SMS, post, or email
- Link your retail and online records to provide you with a better shopping experience
- Give you access to services reserved for registered users, such as wish lists
- Provide you with help and assistance via our Customer Service team
- Fraud prevention and detection
- Manage your online user account
- To take payment for purchased goods and to provide refunds
- Fraud prevention and detection
- We do not store credit card or payment information on Overstock.au servers.
Contact history with us
- Provide personalized customer service and support
- Train our staff
Purchase history and wish list items
What you’ve purchased and what you’ve left in your basket or wish list. Required to:
- Deliver your purchases to you
- Provide personalized customer service support, and process returns
- Allow you to save items to purchase later – via wish list or leaving them in your bag
How we use information about your phone or laptop, and how you use our website
Information you give us when you browse our site, including your IP address, GEO location, device type, as well as how you use our website. Required to:
- Analyze broad data to improve our website usability
- And to serve you the right language and currency for your location
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us. We retain your personal information for as long as it is necessary and relevant for our operations. In addition, we may retain personal information from closed accounts to comply with legal requirements, prevent fraud and resolve disputes.
Where a legal requirement obliges the retention of personal data for a specific minimum period, we will retain data for at least that period. When we determine the maximum retention duration of any personal data we hold we do so with regard to our legitimate interests to retain data, our obligation under GDPR to minimise data we hold; the nature, and sensitivity of the personal data and the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data.